(1) How would you like to Introduce yourself?
I’m Faraway Martin, an Irish singer/songwriter based in Doha. I’ve been here since 2015. When I’m not on stage, I’m in the classroom- I teach music at Gems American Academy.
(2) Tell Me Something About Your Family & How they have Supported you in achieving your Dream?
I come from a very musical family. Music is definitely in my genes. My parents are musical. My grandad played in different bands and organised concerts. My 3 siblings are talented singers; my brother was on X Factor years ago. My whole family has always supported me along the way and offered guidance.
(3) What is your happiest childhood memory? What makes it so special?
It’s too hard to pick one! I was fortunate to have a great childhood. Christmas mornings stand out of course! Playing football with my friends and going on adventures in the woods! I remember when I was a kid I found €50 on the street! That was a memorable day.
(4) What small act of kindness were you once shown that you will never forget?
My favorite singer Damien Rice, invited me to perform with him after I snuck backstage at one of his shows in Italy. He could have told me to leave but he was really nice! It was a dream come true.
(5) What are your top five personal values?
I value honesty, humor, good conversation and not taking life too seriously. I really value passionate/creative people too!
(6) Tell me about your hobbies.
When I’m not playing music I’m probably playing golf! I started playing during lockdown as I couldn’t perform any gigs so golf filled the void. Now I’m totally addicted. I love travelling too. I’ve been to 41 different countries. I have a campervan back in Ireland and I love setting off not knowing where the road will lead!
(7) Your 3 Bucket list Dreams.
I want to travel to Iceland, New Zealand and Japan.
To play sell out shows around the world!
To play the main stage at a big festival or play a stadium tour!
(8) Tell me about your journey as a singer.
Coming from a musical family I was always encouraged to sing when I was younger. I started a band in school when I was 14. I was in various bands after that right up to coming here in 2015! I began writing songs as soon as I started playing the guitar but I didn’t have the courage to release any originals until 2018. Since then I haven’t looked back!
(9) What has inspired you to become a singer ?
My brother was always a big influence on me. I used to sneak into his room and play guitar when he was out. He introduced me to the music of Damien Rice. That’s when I knew I wanted to be a singer/songwriter.
(10) Can you describe your life in a six word sentence?
A series of ups and downs!
(11) What kind of music do you generally listen to & why?
My taste in music is a bit mad! Damien Rice obviously! My dad raised me on Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack so I love music from the 60/70/80’s. I listened to a lot of Green Day, Metallica, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, RHCP etc when I was a teenager. I still love them! Since coming here I’ve become more patriotic and listen to a lot of Irish music; from Irish Trad to Christy Moore up to modern Irish singer/songwriters like Dermot Kennedy. There’s so much talent from our little island!
(12) If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
I’d keep doing what I’m doing! I love performing and teaching- it makes me happy and it brings joy to others. I’d play as many live shows as possible. You can’t beat human connection!
(13) If your life was a novel, what would be the title and how would your story end?
A Series of Ups and Downs (I think that’s what I’ll call my first album!) I’m sure it would end with some advice for future readers. Hopefully it will end with a ‘happily ever after’!
(14) A Few words about Qatar & how this place has helped you in fulfilling your dreams?
Moving to Qatar was certainly one of the better decisions I made! I’m very fortunate to have a good job, I’m surrounded by fantastic friends and have been given some brilliant opportunities that wouldn’t have happened elsewhere.
(15) What message do you want to give to our viewers?
Support live music when gigs come back! Also, check out my music on Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube or whenever you listen to your music. Let me know if you like it! 😀
(16) A Fews Lines about Essence of Qatar.(Our Website) as well as People of Qatar Series.
I love what you’re doing here. It’s nice to learn about different people of different backgrounds based here in Qatar. It also a reliable source of information about Qatar which is really useful