Inspiration from Qatar & Indian regional cuisine
I saw the use of watermelon in savoury main course in Rajasthan part of India where young watermelons are used in making vegetarian dished & cooked in similar fashion like any other marrow. As we know watermelon & shrimps is a great combinations in western & Asian cooking for making salad. My adaptation was taken to new path inspired by local seafood of Qatar & dessert of Middle East, the very famous Kunafa.
I wrapped the jumbo shrimps in kunafa noodles marinated with Indian spice blend & deep golden fried.
Served with watermelon infused spiced curry sauce.
The natural sweetness give a perfect balance to spices & goes great with shrimps.
Prawns U5 – 200gm
Turmeric powder- 15gm
Rajasthani red chilli powder-10gm
Salt- to taste
Clarified butter or Ghee- 1 tbsp
Kunafa noodles – for prawn wrapping
Watermelon juice -150 ml
Watermelon cube – 4 dices
Basil flowers – for garnish
- Marinate the prawns with pinch of salt, turmeric & wrap with fresh kunafa noodles.
- Take a separate sauce pan & heat some clarified butter. Add ginger & sauté till golden brown.
- Add red chilli, turmeric & coriander powder. Cook for few minute of low flame.
- Add watermelon juice to the above cooked spice mix & keep cooking till start to thicken.
- Watermelon is used a replacement of water in general cooking.
- Add salt & finish with little soft butter, drop in the melon cube & cook gently similar to classic French sauces.
- Now deep fry the prawns & assemble in modern plating. Sauce & melon on the bottom & prawns on top, garnished with fresh basil flowers & some micro herbs.
The Above Recipe is Shared by Sous Chef Pradeep Kumar
Working For a Renowned Luxury Hotel Property in Qatar