You expose your skin to pollutants, UV rays, dirt, and grime during the day. At night, your skin gets the chance to undo the damage, rejuvenate, and create new cells. Hence, you must properly remove all traces of dirt and old makeup from your skin before hitting the pillow. The effort you put into cleansing, hydrating, and nourishing your skin will go a long way in keeping it supple and firm. At night, the skin’s cells regenerate fastest due to the increased blood flow to the skin. If you use effective products, your skin can maximize its rejuvenation with serums and creams that help the skin renew itself.
Night Skincare Routine: Steps
- Remove Makeup: Removing your makeup should be the first step to your skincare routine. Use some micellar water or a mild makeup remover that will not dry out your skin further. Choose a formula that gets rid of oil-based makeup as well.
- Cleanse: Use a gentle cleanser to clean your face and neck.
- Tone: Use a toner to smoothen the skin and balance its pH levels. Toners are especially useful for those who have oily skin. If you have dry skin, use a softener to hydrate the skin.
- Serum: Using a serum can address numerous skin concerns. You can use a serum on problem areas of your skin like an anti-acne or oil-control serum. Based on your skin’s needs, you can also use a formula that contains retinoid or a hydrating or firming serum.
- Moisturize: Moisturizing your skin is crucial as it provides your skin with essential nutrients and helps repair damage. Choose a night cream that contains hyaluronic acid, which helps the skin retain moisture and nourishes it without blocking pores
- Eye Cream: Many of us overlook this area and presume that a moisturizer is enough. But the skin surrounding your eyes is the thinnest and is likely to wrinkle the fastest. Opt for products that target the under-eye area, and contain peptides that increase hydration and prevent wrinkles and fine lines.
- Masks: Face masks are an effective way to deliver an intensive burst of nourishment and therapeutic skincare ingredients to your skin. Try to apply a hydrating mask to your face, at least once a week. While there is an abundance of masks to choose from, clay masks work best for oily skin and hydrating ones for dry skin.
- Lip Balm: Your lips are also likely to bear the brunt of dirt and pollution. Wash your lips too when you clean your face, and after drying, apply a lip balm to keep them moisturized through the night. Apply it only after you have brushed your teeth.
If you want to wake up with beautiful, glowing skin, you should build and maintain a regular nighttime skincare routine to cleanse, nourish, and replenish your skin, so it stays healthy.